From Tolkien Index
Symbols and abbreviations
- Symbols and usage
- Page references in square brackets ("[X]") indicate an editorial mention of a name in the source (it is also used for instances where a name is quoted from another source).
- Page references in normal brackets/parentheses ("(X)") indicate an uncertain or implied mention of a name.
- Text in italics indicate alternative forms (used in the source) of the indexed name or briefly quote a context from the source.
- Text in square brackets (used sparingly) indicate comments by the editors of the Tolkien Index.
- PE = Parma Eldalamberon
- VT = Vinyar Tengwar
- The History of Middle-earth
- LT1 (I) = The Book of Lost Tales, Part 1
- LT2 (II) = The Book of Lost Tales, Part 2
- LB (III) = The Lays of Beleriand
- SM (IV) = The Shaping of Middle-earth
- LRW (V) = The Lost Road and Other Writings
- RS (VI) = The Return of the Shadow
- TI (VII) = The Treason of Isengard
- WR (VIII) = The War of the Ring
- SD (IV) = Sauron Defeated
- MR (X) = Morgoth's Ring
- WJ (XI) = The War of the Jewels
- PM (XII) = The Peoples of Middle-earth
- However, in most cases where a lengthy quote is provided in the source material being indexed, the names appearing in the quote are not indexed. (For such cases, see the individual index logs.)