The Tolkien Index
- Aim: To provide an index for names appearing in published writings on Arda by J.R.R. Tolkien lacking an index.
- The Tolkien Index is only a page reference index, not a dictionary or glossary.
- Only names will be indexed.
- The Tolkien Index is a moderated project. If you wish to contribute to the project, or if you note any errors or want to give suggestions, contact Morgan Thomsen.
- Index of Names for Parma Eldalamberon 17
Since the majority of the posthumously published manuscripts by Tolkien are linguistic writings, the Tolkien Index makes a difference between etymological entries for a name (page reference appearing in normal format) and contextual or narrative entries for a name (page reference appearing in italics). As this differentiation is not always clear-cut and is based on a judgement, the different formats of the page references just serve as a quick overview. Likewise, entries which are deemed as especially lengthy and/or informative appear in bold.